Abstract: We present multi-epoch non-redundant masking observations of the T Cha transition disk, taken at the VLT and Magellan in H, Ks, and L’ bands. T Cha is one of a small number of transition disks that host companion candidates discovered by high-resolution imaging techniques, with a putative companion at a position angle of 78 degrees, separation of 62 mas, and contrast at L’ of 5.1 mag. We find comparable binary parameters in our re-reduction of the initial detection images, and similar parameters in the 2011 L’, 2013 NaCo L’, and 2013 NaCo Ks data sets. We find a close-in companion signal in the 2012 NaCo L’ dataset that cannot be explained by orbital motion, and a non-detection in the 2013 MagAO/Clio2 L’ data. However, Monte-carlo simulations show that the best fits to the 2012 NaCo and 2013 MagAO/Clio2 followup data may be consistent with noise. There is also a significant probability of false non-detections in both of these data sets. We discuss physical scenarios that could cause the best fits, and argue that previous companion and scattering explanations are inconsistent with the results of the much larger dataset presented here.
- MagAO-X @ SPIE Astronomical Telescopes + Instrumentation 2018
- MagAO 2018 Day N: Still Not Home
- MagAO 2018A Day 18: All Packed Up
- MagAO 2018A Day 17: The Wrong End of a Telescope
- MagAO 2018A Day 16: Day 365
- MagAO 2018A Day 15: Fringe Science
- MagAO 2018A Day 14: Not just a phase
- MagAO 2018A Day 13: Moonglow
- MagAO 2018A Day 12: #LifeAtLCO
- MagAO 2018A Day 11: Here Comes the Sun
- MagAO 2018A Day 10: Back to Clouds
- MagAO 2018A Day 9: The Universe
- MagAO 2018A Day 8: She blinded me with 73 clouds
- MagAO 2018A Day 7: El cielo estaba nublado
- MagAO 2018A Day 6: The Return of Magellanicus
- MagAO 2018A Day 5: Cloudy Empire
- MagAO 2018A Day 4: Science Data!
- MagAO 2018A Day3: Closed-loop On Sky !
- MagAO 2018A Day 2: Shell Set w/ All 64 bits!
- MagAO 2018A Day 1: Surprise mystery guest
- MagAO 2018A Day 0: Cool Clio Code
- MagAO 2018A Day -1: Strike On The Way In
- MagAO 2018A Blog Rules
- Congratulations Dr. Wu — MagAO’s newest Ph.D.!
- Greetings from LBTI AO!
- 2017B Day 14: Not the last blog post
- 2017B Day 15: The End of the 2017B Run, and a Hike to See Petroglyphs
- 2017B Day 13: The Owl’s Perch
- 2017B Day 12: Arcseconds Chocolates Owls Earthquakes
- 2017B Day 11: MagAO Team Takes a Field Trip!